Pre-Operative Instructions: IV Sedation (In OR)BACK
You must plan to arrive no later than 9:00 AM to be prepared for surgery. If you arrive any later, your surgery is at risk of being cancelled. Due to the multitude of factors associated with your surgery, we want you to expect to spend most of the day with us. We will do our best to make this experience as pleasant as possible; however, your safety is our top priority.
- Please remember that you cannot eat or drink anything after midnight the night before. If you are instructed to take medication before the surgery, take medication with a small sip of water.
- Please make sure you have a responsible adult with you to take you home after surgery.
- Do not bring anything valuable to the hospital such as jewelry that is required to be removed prior to surgery due to the instruments used in the operating room.
You may call the hospital at 713-441-6807 to pre-register or get information regarding hospital fees if you haven’t already. Bring your receipt from our office to show you have already made a payment towards your deductible via Dr. Alfi’s professional fees. It will not yet be reflected on your insurance as it cannot be posted to your account until AFTER the surgery
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for 8 hours before the appointment. For morning surgery, no foods or liquids after midnight the night before surgery.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- Plan to rest for the remainder of the surgery day. The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose-fitting clothing with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow and low-heeled shoes.
- You must remove contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, or stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with your doctor before your surgical date for instructions.
- The use of alcohol or recreational drugs can adversely affect the anesthesia medications that we use. Please discontinue the use of such for at least 72 hours before your procedure.
- If your doctor prescribed you medications, please follow the instructions for their use closely.
Women, please note: Some antibiotics may interfere with the effectiveness of your birth control pills. Please check with your pharmacist.
Check in at the stand-alone desk on level 2 of The Outpatient Building at 6445 Main Street. They will then direct you to the 18th level.
We Are Here To Help
Please contact our office if you have any questions or issues with these instructions.
Take the instructions on the go. Download in PDF format.